Adult Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) England One Day Champions - Croydon
Time & Location
About the Event
What is Mental Health First Aid?
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is an internationally recognised training course accredited by the Royal Society for Public Health. The course will teach you to spot the signs and symptoms of mental ill-health and provide help on a first aid basis to a person who may be experiencing a mental health issue.
This one-day mental health awareness and skills course qualifies you as an Adult MHFA Champion. MHFA Champions have:
• an understanding of common mental health issues
• knowledge and confidence to advocate for mental health awareness
• ability to spot signs of mental ill-health
• skills to support positive wellbeing
Learning takes place through a mix of presentations, group discussions and workshop activities. Course numbers are limited to 16 in order to keep people safe and supported while they learn.
Everyone who completes the course gets:
• a manual to refer to whenever you need it
• a workbook including a helpful toolkit to support your own mental health
• a certificate of attendance to say you are an MHFA Champion
The course is delivered in two sessions as follows:
· About Mental Health First Aid
· About mental health and stress in the workplace
· Stigma and discrimination
· Anxiety disorders
· Other mental health issues (eating disorders, self-harm, psychosis)
· Early warning signs of mental ill-health
· Alcohol, drugs and mental health
· Applying the Mental Health First Aid action plan
· Action 1: Approach the person, assess and assist with any crisis
· Action 2: Listen and communicate non-judgementally
· Action 3: Give support and information
· Action 4: Encourage the person to get appropriate professional help
· Action 5: Encourage other supports
· Building a mentally healthy workplace
· Action planning for using MHFA
Independent research and evaluation show that Mental Health First Aid (England) courses:
· Raise awareness and mental health literacy
· Reduce stigma around mental ill health and feel confident guiding people towards appropriate support
· Boost knowledge and confidence in dealing with mental health issues
· Encourage people to start a conversation with a person who may be experiencing a mental health issue
· Promote early intervention which enables recovery
The Adult MHFA Two Day course is delivered by Esther Thomas, licensed Mental Health First Aid (England) Instructor. This course will take place at the Business Xchange Hub in Croydon, South London. All courses are held in comfortable, light and air-conditioned rooms with refreshments provided.
The course is valued at £200+VAT. Discounts are also available for group bookings and in-house courses, for more information, please contact email@example.com or visit www.thriveandwell.co.uk.